Well, this is surprising. To no one. Disney is taking advantage of the December launch of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story to cross-promote a new Star Wars: The Force Awakens release. This time it’s Blu-ray 3D.
Releasing on November 15, 2016, which is about a month before Rogue One heads to cinemas, it includes not just the 3D Blu-ray, but the film in 2D as well, on Blu-ray. Also included are the DVD and Digital editions. It’s hard to imagine someone that hasn’t bought the movie yet, but I’m sure there are folks that are waiting for the eventual sequel trilogy box set, or the Skywalker Family edition that could eventually see release.
To add a little more incentive to double (or triple) dipping on this film, they’re also adding a large list of new features to this release:
- Audio Commentary with J.J. Abrams – Enter the mind of visionary director J.J. Abrams as he reveals the creative and complex choices made while developing the first film in the new Star Wars trilogy.
- Foley: A Sonic Tale – Foley artists, consisting of old pros and new talent, unite to bring the world of Star Wars: The Force Awakens alive through the matching of sound to action.
- Sounds of the Resistance – Hear how the epic sound design of Star Wars: The Force Awakens moves the Star Wars legacy forward.
- Deleted Scenes – View never-before-shared scenes that didn’t make the film’s final cut.
- Dressing the Galaxy – Costume Designer Michael Kaplan reveals how the costumes of the original Star Wars movies were re-envisioned for a new generation.
- The Scavenger and the Stormtrooper: A Conversation with Daisy Ridley and John Boyega – The two new stars share the thrill of working together on the adventure of a lifetime and becoming part of the Star Wars legacy.
- Inside the Armory – Take a fascinating tour through the design and creation of the weaponry in Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
- Classic Bonus Features – These offerings from the April release of Star Wars: The Force Awakens, include the complete story behind the making of the film, an unforgettable cast table read, insights from legendary composer John Williams and deleted scenes, as well as features that dig deeper into the creation of new characters such as BB-8, the design of the climactic lightsaber battle between Rey and Kylo Ren, the film’s remarkable digital artistry and the Star Wars: Force for Change global aid initiative.
Still missing from the features list are the excellent trailers and the Star Wars Celebration Reel that really kicked off the excitement for the film in a way that I’ll never forget.
OWN THE 3D COLLECTOR’S EDITION THIS FALL
Fans can fully immerse themselves in “The Force Awakens” through breathtaking 3D, new bonus features and collectible packaging!
This fall, Star Wars fans around the world, will experience a galaxy far, far away—up close and in eye-popping 3D—through the highly anticipated “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” 3D Collector’s Edition, rolling out beginning Oct. 31 and arriving in the United States and Canada on Nov 15.
For the first time—and just in time for the holidays—viewers can bring home Lucasfilm’s “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” in 3D, encased in stunning, collectible packaging. The exclusive four-disc 3D Collector’s Edition contains the original theatrical release on Blu-ray 3D™, Blu-ray™, Digital HD and DVD, along with originally released bonus features and brand-new bonus material, including additional deleted scenes, behind-the-scenes conversations with cast and crew and revealing, never-before released audio commentary by director J.J. Abrams.
Star Wars The Force Awakens film clip available here: